Nickeil Alexander-Walker picks up dream offer and plans visit
Things have begun to speed up, as they oftentimes do for higher level prospects entering their senior summers, for 6-foot-4 guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker. The play making guard, who has really reworked his scoring game from off the bounce, picked up a major offer yesterday and has his first official visit planned which will take place this weekend.
A native of Canada who is playing out his junior campaign at Hamilton Heights in Tennessee alongside his cousin and Florida commit Shai Alexander, Alexander-Walker has steadily improved. Due to his length and versatility in the backcourt, added in with his shot making skills and scoring prowess in the lane, the junior has begun to see his recruitment pick up steam.
On Monday, Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon was in to see the prospering junior and before he left, he dished out an offer to him. “I am still in shock, but it’s a dream come true,” the Hamilton Heights product noted. “I can’t stop here. You can lose it just as fast as you got it, though.”
When broached on the subject of who is showing him the most attention, it has been two that have stood out so far. “USC and Virginia Tech speak with me the most,” he said.
Heading to the west coast this weekend, USC will get the chance to host the Canadian for his first official visit and bring him in during its final home contest of the year facing off against the Pac-12 leading Oregon Ducks. “I think it would be a great fit,” Alexander-Walker told HoopSeen. “I know with their playing style that I will have a chance to make an impact.”
While no visit is set up to Virginia Tech just yet, Alexander-Walker gave insight on the Hokies. “I have a very good relationship with Coach Jamie (McNeilly) and he will play a big role in my decision,” the play making guard said. “Coach Buzz (Williams) is a very animated person which is great to be around.”
In taking his first official visit this weekend, there has been some chatter about a possible reclass into the 2016 class. However, Alexander-Walker disputed the notion. “I feel I will have a better impact on any school that I choose if I were to go in 2017,” the Canadian stated.
Regardless of the year that he does decide to come out in, Alexander-Walker continues to see his stock soar and as a national level recruit due to his background, continued progressions in his skillset, and length in the backcourt.